2014 is upon us and if you believe that the secretarial market is a very good barometer for what will happen in the London economy over the next 12 months, then things are looking very positive.
The number of Permanent and Temporary requirements that Tiger were briefed on over the last quarter increased substantially compared to this time 12 months ago. January has started with a bang and we have already been instructed on 18 new pieces of Permanent business and 20 new pieces of Temporary business in 2014 (at the time of writing). I believe this job increase is symptomatic with the current secretarial recruitment market in general.
Interestingly, these new positions cross a wide range of different sectors from Property Development to Private Equity, Family Office to Private Household to Marketing and Education.
In the last quarter, Tiger have been asked to recruit for a number of positions based outside of London and further afield. Internationally, we have recruited, or are recruiting, for Clients based in Dubai, Switzerland, Brussels, and Luxembourg. This suggests that companies are coming to the UK to seek talent in these transient times and what's more, much of the talent is happy to relocate.
We wish you all the best for the year ahead. Please make sure you read our latest salary survey along with predictions and tips for the year ahead which I am sure will help when you are next recruiting. Please also read on for news of our January promotion and to keep up-to-date with all that has been happening at Tiger over the last 12 months.
Feel free to contact me on 020 7917 1801 or at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or would like some advice.
In 2013 we saw team Tiger grow, reflecting the increased business we are getting as mentioned above, the greater number of Candidates we are taking on to our books, and the more work we are putting in to our marketing and advertising. Emma MacInnes joined in July as PA to David and she also works on the marketing side of things. Ella Prichard joined us in September to help with administration and payroll. Mette Jorgensen joined Tiger at the end of 2013 and is a new Consultant on the Permanent Division working closely with David, Clare, Lucy and Flora. All three new recruits have added great value to the team, and we are currently looking to hire two more Consultants at the beginning of 2014.
Tiger has also taken on an in-house, fully qualified PA trainer and coach, who is a specialist in Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP). Lindsay is able to share her advice and knowledge with Candidates during 1:1 coaching sessions ensuring they develop their skills to reach their full potential. Lindsay is also able to help Clients by coming to your offices and delivering bespoke seminars and workshops including PA training sessions, motivational speaking, and networking sessions. Please take a look at our training page for more information and do get in touch if this is something of interest.
One of the biggest and most exciting Tiger news stories last year was the launch of our new website and branding in November. We have already had great feedback about the modern new look and dynamic feel of the site, and it being much more interactive and easy to use for both Clients and Candidates. The site will be constantly updated with the latest jobs and news from Tiger, as well as regular blog updates aimed at both Clients and Candidates, so keep checking in! As well as the positive feedback on our website, our Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Google+ pages have seen a huge increase in followers and traffic, with more regular updates including links to articles and blogs, advertising new roles, and generally keeping in constant contact with our Candidates and Clients.
Tiger Recruitment has received more press coverage in 2013 than ever before. We were quoted in and contributed to a number of articles throughout the year ranging from insights into the current market in The Times to articles in Executive Secretary Magazine. The increase in Tiger's involvement with the press and the number of requests we get for quotes in different newspapers and magazines highlights our leading position in the current market and the value Tiger gives to attracting and the most talented Candidates and working with top Clients in the market.
In 2013 and 2014 we have been raising money for Born Free Foundation, and specifically to fundraise for Tiger Conservation, please have a look at our Charity page. Tiger Consultant Lucy will be running the London Marathon in April for Born Free, so please join us in supporting her by donating at http://www.justgiving.com/Lucy-Slater3
Tiger MD, David Morel, will be taking part in both a triathlon and quadrathlon this year for Born Free, so please look out for his sponsorship pages! In December we all took part in 'The Great Tiger Bake Off' and raised just under £550 selling our delicious (if we don't say so ourselves!) homemade treats! There'll be more events leading up to the marathon and throughout the year so watch this space!
New Year, New Temp?
The Christmas leftovers are finished and everyone has celebrated the New Year and set their resolutions. The Tiger Temp team can tell that things are well and truly moving along with a massive amount of Temp bookings coming through in January. As well as holiday cover for those chasing some sunshine we have been busy with Temp to Perm roles and short-term projects. We have also seen a great response from Candidates with lots of skilled people coming through for our roles. We are all looking forward to a busy 2014 and future growth. To celebrate the New Year, we are offering 2 hours free for any new Temp roles called in for one week or longer in duration between now and the end of February.
January/February 2014 Promotion –
A WINTER WARMER!
10% discount when you brief Tiger on a new Permanent position between 15th January and 28th February 2013 inclusive. *
*This promotion doesn't cover business we have already been instructed on and represents a reduction in our fees from 20% to 18% on Permanent business only.
Salary survey – the nuts and bolts
Please find below a table indicating the roles we recruited for in 2013 and the respective salary levels paid to all successful Candidates placed by Tiger according to broad industry sectors. I suspect many of you have received a number of salary surveys over the last month and, to this end, we have kept things simple and, in addition to the figures below, I have jotted down the most pertinent and useful points/trends as I understand them. Please feel free to contact me (David Morel) should you seek further clarification.
A Table showing the range of salaries paid to Candidates placed by Tiger Recruitment in 2013.
In the aim of simplicity, we have compartmentalised our Clients into four different categories. The result is that a couple of our salary bands are broad in range depending on the size of company and their specific industry.
Tiger Recruitment specialises primarily in the secretarial sector and we recruit into a wide range of industries such as Finance, Executive Search, Luxury Goods, Property, Legal, Insurance, Private Household, Architecture and Design, Engineering, Education, Travel, PR, Media, Advertising, Branding and Communications, Marketing, Hotels, Management Consultancy, NFP, Music and Theatre.
N.B. We recruit for a number of other positions from time-to-time so please call us if you require additional information on salaries.
Salary and market predictions for 2014
• In contrast to last year, I see the secretarial market in 2014 becoming far more Candidate led. This is already presenting a new challenge to our Clients who are finding that they have to conduct the recruitment process from shortlist to offer in a much tighter timeframe and are having to offer higher salaries to secure their chosen Candidate.
• Please see an illustration below of where the market was in June 2013, where it is today and where it will be in 12 months' time –
• As predicted 12 months ago, salary levels will return to 2009/2010 and pre 2007 levels by the end of 2014, if they haven't already. Studying the individual bands, you won't see the upper ends increasing much. Instead, you'll find that there is a greater volume of recruitment taking place at the upper end of the bands. For instance, we will see a greater number of Executive Assistants being paid £50-55k as opposed to £42-47k.
• There will continue to be an increase in recruitment activity across most market sectors as the economic recovery continues to gather pace.
• This increase will be seen nationally as well as in London.
• Internationally, there will continue to be a demand for UK PAs and Secretaries. Dubai has been awarded the 2020 World Expo and I saw the excitement on the ground myself in December. It is common knowledge in the UAE that this will have an extremely positive impact on the recruitment market in Dubai.
• It has been difficult for PAs with experience in creative industries to find jobs in the professional services sector and vice versa. As good quality Candidates become scarcer, Employers will be forced to become more open minded about previous experience and I see this "barrier to entry" dropping a little.
• There is a big demand for quality Candidates at the moment. This demand will only increase throughout the year.
Four Interesting Facts
• Salary levels have broadly remained the same compared to this time last year.
• The main changes to report are an increase in the upper bracket of pay for Team PA/Secretary and Personal Assistant. This reflects the competitiveness of the market for good quality Candidate at this level and the volume of recruitment in this space.
• As we reported in The Observer in October 2013, there are more male PAs following a secretarial career than ever before.
• Tiger Consultants registered 2160 new Permanent Candidates in 2013, a 33% increase on the previous year. 981 of these were also looking for Temporary work.
© Copyright Tiger Recruitment Ltd. 50 Jermyn Street, London, SW1Y 6LX.